- Think before you act. My pastor preaches this constantly. It's amazing the chaos that can be avoided if you just take 10 seconds to think before you act. It allows time for rational thoughts to come through.
- Take the time to get to know yourself. Learn what you like and dislike. When you know yourself, it is easier to avoid things that are more difficult.
- Love yourself. Accept your flaws & all. Learn what are your favorite characteristics about you. This allows you to see your value.
Tuesday, June 24, 2014
Sunday, June 1, 2014
It is 4:43 a.m. and I cannot sleep. Yess the rest of my day will be rough LOL. In this quiet time with myself, I am able to reflect on life; the good and the bad and I am starting to carve out my purpose in life. I'm still discovering things about me and I want to continue to evolve and grow. There are some things I'm not happy with right now and I'm not sure how to change them, but I will figure out. With God things always work themselves out.
To anyone who isn't happy with their current situation, you have the power to change it for your good. It may not be easy, but most things that are worth wild aren't easy. Be patient and diligent and work through it.
Love, Peace & Blessings
Thursday, May 29, 2014
Friday, May 16, 2014
Background info: I posted the picture below on my fan page after my haircut and blowout I received to prepare for my graduation. A person whom I do not know nor share any ties with decided to comment and say Ewwww I look like a man.
- Exposure. I do not know this woman, but somehow my page reached her meaning my page is growing and my name is getting out there and can open me up for positive opportunities such as sponsorship.
- I matter. Someone took the time out of their day to talk about me. Whether it was good or bad. I meant enough to be their subject. This is to be expected because of what I do. I want my page to grow to the point those negative comments get buried in the positive.
- Growth and God's timing. I have grown spiritually. The old me would have said some horrible things to her and put her on display with her name so that others could give her a taste of her own medicine LOL. She made this comment initially on my graduation day. I thank God for not allowing me to see it at that point in time. This prevented any attempts the devil made to spoil the celebration of my academic achievement.
- Stand up for yourself. You can stand up for yourself and not sink to the other person's level. I will sleep well knowing I did not have to make myself feel better by attacking someone else. Below is her response after I called her out:
Thursday, May 15, 2014
There are different levels of competition and different types of physiques. Some are super ripped and muscular and others have firm bodies with less muscle and more "feminine" curves. I put feminine in quotes because I believe it's defined by the eyes of the beholder. The common factor is they all took hours of dedication; something I thought I was lacking. I am now in the gym 5-6 days a week and I love it. It has healed me physically and is a great stress reliever.
Those who may not totally understand this lifestyle tend to give their unwanted opinions and that is very unfortunate. If you date or are friends with a bodybuilder, here are some things that may help you understand our lifestyle.
Whether it is helping us with our posing, or eating your non-competition food away from us shows us that you care. Even if bodybuilding isn't your "thing," the fact that you take the time to learn and understand something that is so big in our lives means the world to us.
We are vain, but there is more to it.
Bodybuilding is not about someone staring at themselves in the mirror for hours in awe of their looks(that's just one aspect we like :-)). Others think it is vanity, but to us, it's about noticing the smallest changes in our body we can find.
Please do not feel as though you have to explain why you're eating bad if you run into one of us.
Not to sound mean, but we don't care what you are eating; especially if you don't. If you have asked us for advice in the past and you aren't following our suggestions, it's no sweat off our backs. We have our own diets to worry about.
Don't expect us to eat just fruits, veggies, and "healthy" foods.
We eat just about whatever we want. The difference is, we have those "cheat meals" in moderation and/or healthy substitutions. We also burn those calories off in the gym.
We are not starving ourselves to lose weight.
We eat more than the average person. I eat more than my fiance who outweighs me by 60-70 lbs. Losing weight does not mean you skip meals. You actual eat at least 5 to 6 meals a day every 2-3 hours. Eating those meals kick your body's metabolism into gear which promotes weight loss.
Keep the jokes about our lifestyle respectful.
We all like to laugh and are OK with laughing at ourselves, but those jokes can get old quick. You aren't the only one with those jokes for us so be mindful. Just know that if you dish it, be willing to take what comes back to you.
Respect our decision to compete.
Bodybuilding is not for everyone. If you are a friend to someone who competes. Respect their choice to compete if it is a positive influence on their life. You don't have to agree with how their body looks, but it is their body and their choice. We get enough "ewww" and "that's too much," or "she looks like a man" comments from everyone else.
We do not always have to talk about gym and healthy eating.
I am an engineer. I love watching ESPN, I love mixed martial arts, and I love to sing just to name a few things. Bodybuilding is just another aspect of my life. We do like to talk about other things. So don't be afraid to change the subject.
|On stage at my first show.|
|Backstage after winning my class and the entire show.|
|After becoming nationally qualified at my second show.|
Friday, May 2, 2014
- Understand yourself and what you need.
- Find your best friend.
- It its OK to make mistakes as long as you learn and move forward
- Spend time with yourself and be alone.
- Learn to love yourself.
- Don't keep the old around because you don't make space for the new.
- Don't look for someone to occupy your time if they are not worthy.
- Do not have someone around just for the physical. Make way for the one God has for you.
- Get to know God and his love.
- Learn to trust and step out on faith.
- Don't bring your past into your present or future if it does not positively influence it.
Saturday, April 26, 2014
What does that statement mean? Well to me it means that if it's not right in front of me, there is a big chance I will not give it attention. It will not matter to me. This honestly is the easiest way for me to handle situations.
Of course life is not always that easy . Like I said in my previous post. You have to work hard for those things that are worth it. There will come a time when you cannot put something out of sight to get past it. What will you do? As my trainer & friend Tiffany Nance says, "Suck it up Buttercup!"
If it really matters to you, find a way to deal. If it doesn't matter, remove yourself from the situation the best way you know how.
Some things are unavoidable. In that case, try your best to put your best foot forward and move pass it. My favorite thing to say is, "It is what it is." Things do get better in time, though it may not be fast enough for you. No matter the situation, you will always have a choice to do what you want to. It may not be considered the best options, but you have some. Your life and happiness is yours in the end, you decide what things in your sight can get to you and eat away at your happiness.
Love, Peace, & Blessings
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Usually nothing that is worth having comes easy. Whether its fitness, school, moving up in the corporate world, relationships, marriage, etc., these things take time and work. You have to care for them, take time with them, and nurture them so they can grow and evolve greater. We can get so wrapped up in our lives sometimes that we can neglect one of the many hats we wear in our life.
We must take the time to set goals and make plans to achieve those goals. Everything may not always go according to plan, but if you have a focus and/or goal, it makes things easier to get back on track. We have to keep pushing in spite of the bad that may have come our way. God in no way created us to be small insignificant beings, he has given us EVERYTHING we will ever need to reach our fullest potential. We just have to have FAITH and put in the WORK required to be successful.
If you don't know what your talents are, take some time to see what you are good at or things you are passionate about. You will be able to live a more rewarding and fulfilling life once you find and follow your passion and purpose. I haven't fully found my purpose, but I am exploring and making my life interesting. I am serving and helping others. That gives me joy. I will continue to explore and enjoy life to the fullest.
Love, Peace, & Blessings
Tuesday, April 22, 2014
Currently, I am less than month from graduating for North Carolina A&T State University with an Engineering degree AGGIE PRIDE!!!! I work part-time as well as a Health Enthusiast at Vitamin Shoppe. In March, I became engaged to the love of my life and best friend Nygel. I am a Nationally Qualified Figure Bodybuilding Competitor currently in competition prep for a show in SC that occurs two weeks after my graduation. I am a proud to say I am a Christian actively serving the Kingdom of God through ministries at my church.
I have a very busy life, but all of these things are important for my success. I am going through lots of transitions in my life at this time, but I think it is a beautiful thing. There will be challenges and growing pains from it. My choices not only impact me, but the life of my fiance and his 4yr old son. As the youngest child, I am used to being spoiled and getting my way LOL. Over the years I have gotten better at that. I'm not as selfish as I used to be. Nygel also challenged me to love and open up more than I have ever done in my life. I'm goofy, silly, smart and observant. I love the outdoors, I am adventurous and super loyal to my friends and family.
Through this blog I will share my different life experiences from the past, present, and what I'd like to expect for the future. If I can impact one life, this will be all worth it. I have included my other social media links, feel free to like and follow my pages. I appreciate all the support.
Amexia's Facebook Fan Page